HASTINGS OLD TOWN CARNIVAL 2010
OFFICIAL Hastings Old Town Carnival Pages since 1998
Carnival Chairman Robert wrote the following letter of thanks to our local newpaper who, for reasons of space, were unable to print it in its entirey. Here is the complete letter
HASTINGS OLD TOWN CARNIVAL ASSOCIATION
ROBERT. E. MORGAN 41 THE RIDGE HASTINGS TN34 2AA.
HASTINGS & St, LEONARDS OBSERVER
Letters to the Editor. Part one.
My ref. Carnival August 7th. 2010. Date 9th. 2010.
2. The day started wet & windy and many of my members had wet hair & feet, but as promised by Michael Fish this was soon to clear and it did thank you Michael.
3. The build up throughout the week would be best described as magnificent with events such as the Sea boot race / Bike race and Pram Race. Then on Thursday High Street Party night. If that was not enough “I’m already walking on my knees” Friday brought the challenge to beat the record for Pirates in one place at one time. “The record to beat was annihilated” Again international support with Pirates crossing the Channel and for all I know some could have come from the Carribean Captain Morgan and his crew for instance. Fancy dress and commitment to make our week the success it is, has to go to you the people of Hastings. My committee do their best to help. Hastings High Street Traders Assn. Old Hastings Preservation Soc. Are there also.
4. Many individuals who act on their own behalf but would not be normally recognized, have a big part to play during this week. I could mention some names but not to offend those I may forget best not to. You know who they are. There was one chap who lost his voice on two or three occasions. A Lady who by the end of the evening must have smelt like Bar-B-Q. And earlier in the year a lady familiar in the Old Town presented us with most of the advertising & revenue for the programme.
5. Then we come to Saturday 7th.
6. We had Rock Bands. Jazz Bands. Samba Lanco and the ever popular Section five. Not satisfied yet with that. Bonfire Boys Drums & Float. Jive Bands Dance Bands. Mobile Disco Hospital Radio. Public address with taped music plus Mel on the mike. It just goes on and on. An old favourite who’s always there POPEYE, we even managed to track down Charlie the Clown for the first time.
7. The Rock-a-nore car park started to come alive at 1-30pm. Floats of all sorts Pedestrians included.
8. 5-00pm. Official start time, a little delay due to parked cars in one of the narrowest Streets in the Old Town, for which I apologize. “Something to watch out for in 2011”
9. Many thanks to you all, and it was nice to meet and greet our MP Amber Rudd and Mayor Kim Forward on so many occasions throughout that special week in August .2010. Tea and cakes on the V.I.Ps. saluting stage into the bargain. I’m one of those many who enjoyed the day.
Robert. E. Morgan. Chairman.
comments etc to
www.1066.net - Hastings' favourite web site is sponsored by XL(2000)Ltd