Hastings Borough Bonfire Society would like to invite you to enter
Hastings Borough Bonfire’s Guy Competition.
This is a new event and we would love to have as much support as possible. The idea is to have fun and encourage children to know about the tradition of Guy Fawkes and Sussex Bonfire.
Each year Hastings Borough Bonfire Society raises thousands of pounds to put on a fantastic free event. We hope that this event will mean children can have a great time, take part in the tradition of ‘a penny for the guy’ in a safe way for the 21st century, as well as help to raise funds towards the event and local awareness of our society.
All the information is on the attached poster. Key points are
· 10th October 2015 at Priory Meadow. Parade at 11.00am followed by judging.
· Children must be accompanied at all times by a parent/carer.
· Guys must be between 75cm and 100cm tall. They must be made from natural flammable materials that will not give off chemicals—no plastics, rubber, polystyrene or explosive materials.
· Guys must be able to be carried so will need a support.
· 7 categories with a prize for each category: guy has pride of place on the bonfire, one family membership of HBBS and some chocolates for that instant reward feeling.
Our tips for making a guy:
· Natural materials – cotton is best.
· Head made from a stuffed cotton pillow case, paper bag or papier mâché.
· Stuffed with straw or newspapers.
· Supported with bamboo canes or sticks through the legs, body and arms.
Some educational aspects covered by this event are:
· Art - become proficient in craft and design techniques (artistic design and finish)
· D&T - skills to design and make high-quality products (the underlying structure)
· History - know and understand the history of Britain, how people’s lives have shaped this nation and understand the connections between local and national history.
· British Values – respect democracy and mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith (using The Gunpowder plot for discussion)
· Community cohesion: to recognise and contribute to the local community.
Some useful links are:
· Hastings Borough Bonfire Society (Hastings Bonfire 17th October 2015) www.hbbs.info
· History of the Gunpowder Plot resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/guy/history.htm
· Sussex Bonfire Tradition www.hbbs.info/index.php/traditions/sussex-traditions
· Guy Fawkes activities www.activityvillage.co.uk/guy-fawkes