The area between the end of Robertson Street - the Western limit of the America Ground - and the Pier is known as "White Rock"; the area has this name because in the early part of the last century a massive white sandstone (there is no chalk in the immediate vicinity of Hastings) promontory covered the area and could only be passed at low tide or by a steep road over the top. The deployment of gunpowder ensured the removal of the obstruction and westward expansion continued. The main feature of eastern end of the area is the former Palace Hotel with its Victorian splendour somewhat diminished in the 1960's when a lot of the elaborate stucco mouldings were removed. The building is now shops, a pub, offices and apartments. The following historic pictures date from the Edwardian era and give a flavour of Seaside Hastings at that time.
Richard Pollard Collection
Photo Ion Castro
The 'Palace' today
www.1066.net - Hastings' favourite web site is sponsored by 1066 Country Ltd
copyright (c) Ion Castro 2000-2008